Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 4: It takes a village to raze a house...


Today’s high is supposed to be 34°, but sunny.

Given the current state of the kitchen (la cocina), I’d take the old one. But I am looking forward to what comes next.


Thankfully, the door between living space and demolition area was installed yesterday. It helps buffer the cold gusts. I still mostly wear my coat and hood when I'm inside though.

As I was taking pictures, I noticed attic insulation and gaps, which means that the eaves are open to the air. Washington Gas Company will benefit from our energy profligacy this month. I'm sure Climate would say, "This is hurting me more than it hurts you."

La pared (wall—but fewer walls as the day goes on)


Steve surveying the demo
Luis & Salvador
The dumpster filled up yesterday.  As a diehard recycler & composter, I feel bad about all the debris we’re sending to a landfill, though less than if we razed the house. The workers are separating the metal, so there's a stack in the yard now. I just need to get it loaded into our small utility vehicle (amazing how much a Civic can carry) and haul it to Potomac Metals http://www.potomacmetals.com/. The closest facilityis in Springfield, but there are three other sites in VA & MD. Every little bit helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment